Welcome to Your Cooperative
This is to acquaint new members — and to remind existing members — of Kotzebue Electric Association with their rights, privileges and responsibilities as members of an electric cooperative.
You should know:
- You are a member of the cooperative.
- You are legally a part-owner of the cooperative.
- You have the right to attend your annual meeting and to vote for directors of the cooperative.
- You have the right to run for a seat on the board of directors.
- You have a responsibility to keep up with developments affecting your electric cooperative.
You should also know:
- Your cooperative is a non-profit business.
- Your cooperative was established by fellow members of your community in order to offer the most cost-effective and responsive electric service to you and your neighbors in Kotzebue.
- Most electric cooperatives have received loans from the federal government to build and extend their systems. Some subsidy is involved, from both state and federal governments; but this is not unique in the utility business. All types of electric utilities, including investor-owned and municipally-owned utilities, benefit in one way or another. Studies show that federal subsidies to electric cooperative are not as large as those to the investor- and municipal-owned utilities.